Saturday, March 19, 2011

my simple dinner go to's


Latkas - grated potato pancakes I grate potatoes and onions and put the potatoes in ice water so they don't turn brown. Then I really ring them out and then mix with onions, flour, salt, pepper, and an egg. I never measure for this but I'll try to next time. I serve with apple sauce and sour cream. The only difficult thing is getting the oil the right temp so that they come out crispy and golden not soggy, raw in the middle, or burnt.

Salmon Fillet - I use frozen Alaskan salmon. I thaw it in the fridge over night then put it in an aluminum foil wrap with a pat of butter some fresh dill and a squirt of lemon juice. then I bake at 450 until flaky (careful not to over cook, dry overcooked fish is horrible!).

Roasted Asparagus - simple simple :) olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Back at 4oo!

Roasted mixed veggies - I like tomatoes, onions, summer squash and zucchini, potatoes etc same as above just omit lemon juice.

Rice - I am a picky rice eater lol. The only plain brown or white rice I like is Basmati. I hate short grain mushy rice! As a standard I cook it with chicken stock rather than water for flavor omitting extra salt and sometimes adding minced garlic and/or parsley/herbs. I use a 1 - 1.5 ration rice to liquid. I like wild rice as well. For fancier days I like to make saffron rice. I haven't found the perfect recipe yet I just really love saffron.

Hot water pie crust - I love this recipe! I use butter instead of shortening and it's a bit hard to work with but it always comes out light and flaky and delish.

Buttermilk pie - for when I have nothing else this a great simple custard pie with a little tang :)



More to come :)

2 comments:

  1. so were do you buy salmon? I LOVE salmon but don't know where to find it for cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually get it frozen at Costco or fresh at the International Market near me.

    ReplyDelete